"Crossing Over" Review

Crossing Over – From God’s Heart to Ours
 
I learned some new words and traditions on Sunday, March 24, 2013, at Michael Allen
Harrison’s presentation of “Crossing Over,” which was performed at the Performing Arts Center on the Portland Community College Sylvania campus. Words such as: Haggadah, Seder table, and dayenu.
 
Michael spoke to the audience of the leadership role his beloved father played and continues to play in Michael’s life.



"The voice of God is first heard in the voices of our parents. As the years go by
we don't hear it that way too often. They have their voices and we gain ours. But
at Passover, as the very first word of the Haggadah is spoken --- was spoken by
my father --- the voice of God is again in the voices of our parents. And I hear
his voice tonight."

 
Hmm, my mind quickly jumped back to my own father’s voice and how he told and retold the story of the exodus from Egypt, the parting of the Red Sea, and how God led the Hebrew people from bondage to freedom. The musical story and the Passover traditions were narrated by Rabbi Emanuel Rose and played out in music and song by Michael and his extremely talented friends – telling how God’s voice resounded, “Let my people go.” As a non-Jew, but lover of God and Biblical truths, I was totally captivated by the loving explanation and narration of what it means to the Jewish people and non-Jews alike to fulfill the scriptural commandment to “tell your son” of the Jewish liberation from slavery in Egypt.
Michael’s Haggadah music ranged between tender and powerful; the singing, often in Hebrew, made me want to sign up for a course in the Hebrew language while at PCC.
 


























During the performance, while I sat in the balcony that paralleled the Seder table, my eyes tended to land on the two youngest singers to the right of the Seder table, Cayla and Ashley Bleoaja. Michael introduced Cayla and Ashley and reprised the role of being a “mentor” to these two young women. Personally, I’m on the other end of the spectrum. Cayla and Ashley are my neighbors and continue to amaze me and mentor me with their sincere love and adoration for God the Father. At this venue, Cayla and Ashley sang solos (in Hebrew no less) and duets, chanted and joined the other singers as the Passover story was unpacked to the attentive audience.
 
Thank you, Michael, for sharing your love for your father and your love for Our Heavenly father. The performance and music was simply delectable. This Passover celebration story continues to be told and retold from heart to heart and generation to generation. In memory of Emily Georges Gottfried - I think she would have enjoyed the Passover feast that we shared.
 
Cindy Johnson
 
 

God made a promise to Abraham: I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between Me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you. The whole land of Canaan, where you are now an alien, I will give as an everlasting possession to you and your descendants after you; and I will be their God (Genesis 17:7-8 NIV).
Subscribe Share

2 comments:

  1. This is a amazing review. Makes me wish I could have seen the show, but I do not live around there at all. But Cindy Johnson, you are a talented writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anais! Cindy Johnson IS a phenominal writer. We have featured two of her reviews already, and we love them! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete

Go for it. Tell us what you think!

Contact

C O N T A C T

questions, messages, or booking? let them know.

Email:

caylaandashley@gmail.com

Work Time:

Monday - Friday from 9am to 5pm

Phone: